Bosnian war crimes prosecutors have launched an investigation after a video emerged of an alleged sniper taking shots during the almost four-year-long siege of Sarajevo in the 1990s.
The footage, posted by French journalist Philippe Buffon on YouTube this week, appeared to show Bosnian Serb fighters hiding in a house in the suburbs of Sarajevo.
One of them could be seen firing a sniper's rifle and boasting that he hit someone 'in the head."
Bosnia-Herzegovina's prosecutor's office said in a statement that a case was opened "immediately" after the video appeared on the Internet.
The office said its Special Department for War Crimes will examine "all the circumstances and the role of all the people in the recording."
The local telecommunications company Telemach BH said it had contacted prosecutors after one of its employees was recognized in the video. It said the employee had been suspended.
The YouTube video, titled The Snipers Of Nedzarici, after a Sarajevo neighborhood, was no longer available on the video-sharing platform on May 21.
The footage was distributed on social networks and broadcast on local television, causing a stir in the Bosnian capital, where more than 11,000 people were killed in the siege by Bosnian Serb forces.
Hundreds of people have been convicted of crimes committed during the 1992-95 Bosnian War in which more than 100,000 people were killed.
Local judiciary officials are still examining some 600 cases involving 4,500 suspects, according to official data.
The conflict ended in a U.S.-brokered peace agreement in 1995 that divided Bosnia into two entities -- the Muslim and Croat federation and Republika Srpska -- held together by joint central institutions.
With reporting by AFP and RFE/RL's Balkan Service
Copyright (c) 2018. RFE/RL, Inc. Republished with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036